Subject: IFLA Satellite Meeting
From: christina tovoté <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:20:16 +0200

BIBLIST:are och IFLA-kollegor,

Här kommer ännu en gång programmet för vårt förseminarium i Bangkok den
19-20 augusti. Det är nu bara sex veckor dit och idag läggs programmet
ut en andra gång på IFLA-L-listan. Det las ut första gången tidigt i
mars och i juninumret av IFLA-Journal fanns en annons med mer detaljerat
program. Vidare har det gått ut i LAMA Leads, en elektronisk tidskrift
som ges ut av ALA/LAMA och går till 1.600 bibliotekarier över världen.
Som ni förstår riktar vi oss i första hand till  thailändska,
indonesiska m. fl. kollegor, vilket också är förklaringen till att
priset är så lågt, 25 $. Jag klistrar in ett brev från en sådan kollega,
så förstår ni hur svårt det är med avgifter för biblioteken i de
länderna.
Men även nordiska och övriga länders kollegor är välkomna och vi i
sektionen Management and Marketing är tacksamma för all hjälp att sprida
informationen. 30 deltagare är välkomna och hittills finns det plats för
c:a 5 -10 st till.

Mer info genom
Christina Tovoté
Bibliotek/IT
Malmö högskola

Här är brevet och längre ner kommer programmet:

"Dear Ms. Celebrese;

With reference to the announcement available at the revised IFLANET, I
understand that you planned to organize such important meeting, on the
above
mentioned subject. I found out that the content of the sohort meeting
will
be really important in promoting the information available on our
libraires
in Indonesia. As you understand that this field is almost neglected,
especially in the era of economic crisis we are suffering this time.
Through
this e-mail may I apply for joining the important meeting.

I am the chief Librarian af the SEAMEO BIOTROP, a regional Centre active
in
training and research on Tropical Biology. Opreationally, the Centre is
funded by the Government of Indonesia. For your information, my name is
officially registered as the participant of the next IFLA general
meeting in
Bangkok, Thailand, and my trip is financialy funded by the DANIDA grant
(the
airfare, board and lodging, the conference fee, and daily subsistence
around
US$ 10.00 during the conference). I understand that interesting party
should
pay US$ 25.00 for the meeting fee, but as you understand that due to the

economic crunch we are suffering now our government could not fund any
extra
expenses. Therefore, I would be very happy if I will be excempted from
the
required fee, thus, I will need additional money for room extension
only.

Thank you very much for you your attention and kind considertation. I am

looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely yours,

Widharto
Librarian SEAMEO BIOTROP
Jl. Raya Tajur KM 6, P.O. Box 116
Bogor 16001, Indonesia
tel (62-251) - 323 848; fax (62-251) - 326 851
E-mail: [log in to unmask]"

Here is the press release as it will appear on the IFLA-L...

IFLA Colleagues:

Below is a press release on a one and a half day satellite meeting to be
held
August 19-20, 1999 before the IFLA General Council and Conference in
Bangkok.

The session is a first for the new Management and Marketing Section and
we
will appreciate you sharing it widely with you colleagues.

With best regards and advance thanks,

Michael Koenig, Section Chair (US)
Patricia Layzell Ward, Section Secretary (UK)
Dr. Christie Koontz (Course Moderator) (US)
Dr. Rejean Savard (CA)
Alice Calabrese and John W. Berry (US) co-chairs, Satellite Meeting
Planning
   Committee

                                19-20 August, 1999
                               Bangkok, Thailand

The IFLA Section on Management and Marketing is organizing a satellite
meeting
on "Marketing Your Library" to be held at Srinakharinwirot University,
Department of Library and Information Science, Faculty of the
Humanities,
Bangkok on August 19-20, 1999.

This workshop is designed to be an informal, lively interactive workshop
on
marketing principles as applied to libraries. Course materials will
include reading lists, articles, glossary of terms, exercises and case
studies.  A marketing workbook is being donated to each particpant by
the Arthur Wilder Foundation.  By the end of the two days, participants
will have completed, in class, the essential elements of a library
marketing plan.  Time will be set aside after each module for exercises
and assignments.

Day 1 (August 19)

 Why Marketing for Libraries?
 What do you need to practice Marketing?
 Writing a Mission Statement (What is our business, who do we serve and
why?)
 Introducing and Gathering Information About the Library's Operating
Environment
  * Library Resources
  * Library Policy
  * Library Technology
  * Library User Alternatives
  * Characteristics of Library Users
  * Developing a SWOT List (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and
    Threats) based on a review of the Library's Environment

 Using Marketing Research to Segment the Library Market
 Identification of Library Users with Shared Characteristics including:
 * Demographics (Age, Education, Occupation, Income, and Size of
Household)
 * Lifestyles (Social Class, Family Life, Attitudes and Values)
 * Geographical Characteristics (Residence address or workplace by
    population)
 * Benefits sought by Users (Task completion, job promotion, pleasure)
 * Uses made of Library Products and Services (Pre-school education,
   online searches, library services for local businesses)
 * Volume of Materials and Services Used

Day 1: Evening--Gala dinner for all participants, teachers and
organizers

Day 2: (August 20)

Developing the Library's Market Mix: The "4 P's" (Product, Price, Place,

    & Promotion)
 * Based on your market research, how you can better develop the
   library's services to users (what your users want and need)
 * Products (Services, Materials, Programs, Online Searches)
 * Price (Cost of User's Time or related charges)
 * Places or Channels of Distribution (Branch libraries, Bookmobiles,
Kiosks)
 * Promotion Strategies (How do we communicate who we are?  Public
    relations, publicity, design and displays)

Evaluation of Marketing and Performance Measures
 * Presents marketing controls and evaluation and performance measures--

    methodologies and techniques.
 * Wrap Up/Summary:  Discussions of how best to integrate marketing
   procedures into library management in the future.

The workshop concludes at 1pm on Friday, August 20th

Registration fee: $25.00 (US); the workshop will be conducted in
English;
Registration fee includes: all materials, food and beverage (morning and

afternoon breaks, two lunches and the gala dinner); housing is available

at the nearby Jade Pavilion Hotel, Sukhumvit 22, Bangkok for $25.00 (US)

per night.

Registration is limited to thirty (30) persons.  For more information, a

complete brochure and to register contact: Alice Calabrese, The Chicago
Library System, 224 South Michigan Avenue, Suite 400, Chicago, IL, 60604

(United States)
(fax: 01.312.341.1985; e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Organisers and Presenters include:

* Dr. Christie Koontz, Florida State University, U.S. (Course Moderator)

* Dean Jue, Florida State University, U.S.
* Dr. Rejean Savard, University of Montreal, Canada
* Thierry Giappiconi, Bibliotheque Municipale, Fresnes, France
* Marielle de Miribel, University of Paris
* Christina Tovote, Malmo University, Sweden
* Donald S. Leslie, Library Industry Market Manager, 3M Corporation, St.
Paul,
   MN (USA)
* Alexis Sarkesian, Marketing & Media Consultant, Chicago, IL (USA)
* Alice Calabrese, Chicago Library System, U.S.
* John W. Berry, NILRC: A Consortium of Community Colleges,
   Colleges and Universities, Chicago, IL, U.S.