Subject: Libraries should provide Internet access to poor.
From: caroline nachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Sep 1996 15:53:05 -0500

Hi
        I hope this applies to Scandanavian countries as well as USA.  Many
Internet users recognize the dire need of poor and non-PC-educated people
for internet access and training.  Approximately 100 million people in the
US lack the equipment, access and/or education to effectively use the
Internet.  Rather than accept a divsion of America into Internet haves and
have-nots, we believe that public libraries can, working with private
financing sources, provide such access and training.

        For reasons of finance, space, bureacracy and politics, public
schools can't effectively provide this access.  But public libraries can.

        We aren't saying it will be easy.  At the smallest public library, there
should be a minimum of 5 - 8 Internet-connected PCs.  At the main public
library in metro areas, 50 such PCs may be too few.  The project presents
severe difficulties of management, financing and diplomacy.

        The effort must be privately funded and planned, using space and people
resources of librares to provide the service.  This will make the effort
somewhat independent of the political forces that intrude on every public
library.

        We are primarily skilled in the financial [money-providing] and Internet
areas, and are eager to secure associates skilled in library management.
Comments and volunteers, please!

                caroline  <[log in to unmask]>
        The PL/I-ACCESS Project.