Subject: FACULTY LIAISON
From: "ELIZABETH A. RHODES, REFERENCE LIBRARIAN, UNIV. OF BALTO. LAW LIBRARY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:52:57 -0500

Dear Discussion Group Member:

    One of the positions I fill at the University of Baltimore Law
Library is that of Library-Faculty Liaison. I meet with individual
faculty members, usually in their offices. During these meetings I
inform them about library services, gather information on their
research, teaching and law-related service interests, and solicit
their current requests of the library. I forward faculty requests
to our Associate Librarian, who then distributes individual
requests to members of the reference staff. I put information about
research and teaching interests onto each faculty member's Faculty
Profile form. We use the information on these forms to help us make
collection development decisions, and to decide to which professors
to route information gleaned from the internet. Also, if the
library is sponsoring a program for faculty, I help to publicize
it.
     I am writing to request information on faculty liaison
programs at other schools. I am interested in information on such
subjects as: Do you have a designated faculty liaison or faculty
contact person, or perhaps more than one?  If so, what does that
person, or, do those persons, do?  If not, how do you receive
information about professors' teaching and research interests, and
their current needs, and , how do you inform professors of the
services the library offers them?
     Could you provide me with a list of services your library
performs for faculty?  Which of these services do they seem to need
most?  Have you done a survey or questionnaire to inquire about
faculty library needs?
     Response to any of the above would be appreciated,as would any
related information. As I am not a member of the discussion group,
I ask that you respond directly to me. My internet address is
MX%"[log in to unmask]".  My phone number is 410-837-4595.
My mailing address is: Elizabeth Rhodes, University of Baltimore
Law Library, 1415 Maryland Ave., Baltimore, Maryland. Thank you in
advance for any information you forward.

Yours truly,

Elizabeth Rhodes