Subject: Varför är det viktigt att bevara Twitters svenska arkiv på KB?
From: Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:12:42 +0100

Är Twitter något som Kungliga biblioteket, vårt minnesarkiv, borde
arkivera för kommande generationer? Självklart säger du och jag.
Men tyvärr kommer det inte att ske inom överskådlig framtid. Den
nya pliktlag som snart klubbas igenom torde i sin torftighet betraktas
som en betydande katastrof eftersom huvuddelen av kulturarvet inte
kommer att bevaras. Min käpphäst som exempel är utrikesminister
Carl Bildts blogg Alla dessa dagar.

Han skriver idag:

I måndags åkte jag bil från Bonn. I dag blir det tåg till Haag.
Och där handlar det om friheten på nätet.
På kvällen är det bl a Google:s Eric Schmidt, USA:s Hillary Clinton
och jag som talar på ett större arrangemang om dessa frågor.
Därmed inleds den större konferens om dessa frågor som sedan kommer
att fortsätta under fredagen.
Att vi tillhör spjutspetsarna i den snabbt växande internationella
debatten i dessa frågor torde i alla fall inte läsare här ha missat.

http://carlbildt.wordpress.com/

Vi får hoppas att den nya ledningen på KB kommer att vara den
spjutspets som bevarar nätet för
kommande generationer.

Library of Congress behövde ingen lagstiftning för att fullgöra sina åligganden:

The Library and Twitter: An FAQ

April 28th, 2010 by Matt Raymond

Twitter’s gift (link is PDF) to the Library of Congress of its entire
archive of public tweets, announced two weeks ago today, sure has
stoked the public’s interest.  (Also included as addenda to the
previous link were Twitter’s current and previous terms of service.)

I’ve been working in journalism and public relations for nearly 20
years, and of all the stories with which I was personally involved,
this one has beaten the rest by a mile. Thousands of hits on Google
News.  Countless blog posts from around the world.  Media interest
from virtually every national newspaper and broadcast outlet (which
continues even two weeks later), and numerous local outlets.  And
websites as diverse as The Drudge Report, The Huffington Post, and
even Perez Hilton.

And of course, a lively discussion, to say the least, within the
Twitterverse itself.  On the day of the announcement, I set up a
Twitterfall that looked more like Niagara than a trickle.  (A definite
highlight of my life was having been retweeted by Alyssa Milano.)

Given all of that interest, we wanted to put out an FAQ.  Most if not
all of these answers have been published on our site and elsewhere,
but we thought they should be collected in a single place.  These may
be updated as appropriate:

Why is it important to preserve the Twitter archive?

Twitter is part of the historical record of communication, news
reporting, and social trends – all of which complement the Library’s
existing cultural heritage collections.  It is a direct record of
important events such as the 2008 U.S. presidential election or the
“Green Revolution” in Iran.  It  also serves as a news feed with
minute-by-minute headlines from major news sources such as Reuters,
The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.  At the same time, it
is a platform for citizen journalism with many significant events
being first reported by eyewitnesses.

The Library of Congress collections include items such as the very
first telegram ever sent, by telegraph inventor Samuel F.B. Morse,
oral histories from veterans and ordinary citizens, and many other
firsthand accounts of history.  These collections and others have left
behind glimpses of the lives of ordinary people, thereby enriching
knowledge of the context of public events recorded in government
documents and newspapers.  Individually tweets might seem
insignificant, but viewed in the aggregate, they can be a resource for
future generations to understand life in the 21st century.

The Library did not pay for the archive; rather, it was a gift from Twitter.

What is in the Archive?

Twitter has been a public and open communications platform since its
beginning. Twitter is donating an archive of what it determines to be
public.  Private account information and deleted tweets will not be
part of the archive. Linked information such as pictures and websites
is not part of the archive, and the Library has no plans to collect
the linked sites. There will be at least a six-month window between
the original date of a tweet and its date of availability for research
use.

What does the Library plan to do with the archive?

First and foremost, the Library is interested in preserving access to
the archive for the long term.  In addition to looking at preservation
issues, the Library will be working with academic research communities
to explore issues related to researcher access.  The Twitter
collection will serve as a helpful case study as we develop policies
for research use of our digital archives. Tools and processes for
researcher access will be developed from interaction with researchers
as well as from the Library’s ongoing experience with serving
collections and protecting privacy and rights.

The Library is not Twitter and will not try to reproduce its
functionality.  We are interested in offering collections of tweets
that are complementary to some of the Library’s digital collections:
for example, the National Elections Web Archive or the Supreme Court
Nominations Web Archive. We will make an announcement when the
collection is available for research use.

http://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2010/04/the-library-and-twitter-an-faq/

Jan

-
Jan Szczepanski