Subject: KB och OCLC igen
From: Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:32:44 +0100

Den 14 december meddelade KB att biblioteket kommer att avsluta
förhandlingarna med OCLC
då förhandlingsprocessen ännu inte lett till ett fungerande avtal.

http://librisbloggen.kb.se/2011/12/14/kb-avslutar-forhandlingarna-med-oclc-angaende-deltagande-i-worldcat/

Detta helt unika beslut har uppmärksammats internationellt. Intressant
är den kommentar som OCLC lämnar
den 23 december på en artikel publicerad i amerikanska Library Journal
den 21 december. Enligt OCLC är
det svenska beslutet olyckligt eftersom dom hinder KB anser finnas inte finns.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2011/12/metadata/national-library-of-sweden-no-deal-with-oclc-on-worldcat-participation/

OCLC:s synpunkter in extenso

Update 12/23:] LJ received the following statement from OCLC today, by
Jim Michalko, VP of the OCLC Research Library Partnership:

“OCLC is in discussions with the National Library of Sweden about the
Library’s recent post to its website. We believe that the National
Library and the Libris union catalog it supports can be made visible
in WorldCat in a way that meets the library’s expectations and is
consistent with the norms of the OCLC cooperative. We were
disappointed that they chose to end the talks.

“While we look for other ways to work with Swedish libraries in the
future, it’s important to correct the Library’s characterization of
OCLC’s position regarding data contribution to the Europeana project.
When we were asked by the National Library of Sweden about their
participation in Europeana, we conveyed our interpretation of the
WorldCat Rights and Responsibilities (WCRR) guidelines that the
‘public domain dedication license’ required by all participants of
Europeana would be inconsistent with the community norms identified in
the guidelines. We explained our reasons for this interpretation in an
earlier post to the Open Knowledge Foundation blog. In our discussions
with the National Library and Europeana we characterized these
guidelines, which were written and ratified by the members of the OCLC
cooperative as a code of good practices. It is a discretionary
guideline and ultimately the library’s decision to release WorldCat
derived records to another institution. In that same blog post we
suggest a licensing approach that would be consistent with the WCRR.
This approach was discussed with both Europeana and the National
Library of Sweden as the basis for moving forward. OCLC has since used
this licensing approach in our releases of data (FAST, OhioLINK). We
are working to make this a standard recommendation to OCLC members in
managing their own catalog data.”

Det vore en katastrof om dom svenska biblioteken stod utanför OCLC:s
WorldCat som är ett globalt
samarbetsprojekt som omfattar 72.000 bibliotek i 170 länder. Vi ska
inte befinna oss i  någon slags
bibliografisk bakgård där ingen ser eller hör oss utan helt och fullt
delta i det globala bibliotekssamarbetet.

http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/statistics/default.htm

Jan

--
Jan Szczepanski