Subject: Vilken läsplatta? Big Kindle eller Apple Tablet PC?
From: Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 May 2009 15:38:17 +0200

En intressant artikel från PersonaNonData. Länge nu har det ryktats att
Apple
kommer med en läsplatta.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49293967,00.htm

se även Wikipedia
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffeltavla

Jan

Big Kindle Goes to School (Shrug)

The launch of Big Kindle looks like another round in the continuing
Apple vs Amazon cage fight. Amazon looks to be on the defensive as they
rush out a larger version of the Kindle for the education market in
advance of Apple's proposed Tablet PC. Jobs may think that people don't
read but he does know that children are educated, and education is an
arena Apple has traditionally done well in. The developing convergence
of education and book e-commerce is what Amazon may see as a threat: A
captured market of educational materials that, should Apple enter with a
tablet PC type device, Amazon could be locked out of.

For Amazon however, Big Kindle will still be giggled over by those in
Cupertino. Will the Apple tablet be any better? It is certain to have a
far better form factor. Whether it will be expressly suited to
delivering educational content in a dynamic and forward thinking manner
remains to be seen. That is certainly not within the capabilities of Big
Kindle.

Several universities participated in the launch of Big Kindle and the
hype around the launch hid a troubling question; namely, why these
schools were in-bed with the retailer at all? On a list serve I questioned,

Don't the participating universities appear to be endorsing a hardware
platform (not to mention a specific retail channel). You could argue
(possibly strongly) that allowing the bookstore to be managed by B&N or
Follett or even the adoption of college textbooks themselves to be
little different; however, doesn’t the changed paradigm suggest an
opportunity to operate on a more open field of play or is this more of
the same leading to more student frustration, higher prices and deadened
innovation in education?

In other words, why would the universities want to continue the
(essentially) old way of doing business when most observers believe we
are on the cusp of a renaissance in educational learning. The Kindle
doesn't do multimedia, it doesn't do color and most importantly it
doesn't do networking because the Kindle is a closed system. This is a
short sighted collaboration between schools and Amazon that doesn't
really suggest any major change.

As I thought about the Big Kindle development it struck me that there
could still be a more interesting development. Content media companies
suddenly developing a hardware delivery platform are growing like weeds
from NewsCorp to Hearst, and there could be an opportunity for
collaboration between the news/magazine world and education. What if
CourseSmart or Safari joined one of these efforts? That would be a far
more interesting and potentially game changing development than selling
text book content on a Big Kindle. By definition, the hardware to
support a digital magazine will be capable of all the aspects necessary
in delivering a changed educational experience.

Will that happen? As it turns out some of the partners involved in
CourseSmart are also participating in the Big Kindle roll out; but, what
is CourseSmart if it isn't a new way to deliver educational materials to
learners? That doesn't seem to be what students will be getting with Big
Kindle. There may be all kinds of reasons why CourseSmart (or even an
publisher themselves) won't be launching a device: The predominant
reason may be the amount of print revenue tied to Amazon, and therefore
from my perspective Big Kindle and education is more about marketing
hype than anything fundamental. We await more developments with keen
interest.

--
De åsikter som framförs här är mina personliga
och inte ett uttryck för Göteborgs universitets-

Opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of the Gothenburg University Library

Jan Szczepanski
Förste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek
Box 222