Viktiga svenska insatser för skapandet av ny förlagsorganisation

Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>

BIBLIST - Topics in Nordic research library user services <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:06:02 +0200

text/plain

På SPARC Open Access Forum informerades i torsdags om bildandet av
en ny förlagsorganisation Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association
(OASPA) Svenska företrädare har haft en framträdande och pådrivande
roll.

Lars Björnshauge från Lunds Universitets Bibliotek har representerat
SPARC Europe och ett speciellt tack framförs till Caroline Sutton från
det svenska OA-förlaget Co-Action Publishing.

Skapandet av en professionell internationell organisation är en stor
framgång för OA-rörelsen och ytterligare ett bevis på att rörelsen
har mognat.

Jan

Här är den fullständiga texten från SPARC

This spring Gunter Eysenbach and I proposed forming a professional
organization for open access publishers. At about the same time a number
of the major professional open access publishers had also begun working
towards this goal. We have been working together to develop a set of
bylaws and a plan for the organization over the summer. I wanted to
update you on our progress in forming what we are calling the Open
Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA). I apologize for the
lack of updates for several months. We had a difficult period working
out the structure and governance process for OASPA and the proposed
organization was in flux. It seemed best to wait until there was more
clarity in how OASPA would evolve before providing an update to the OA
community. I am pleased to say that we have made a great deal of
progress and intend to announce the launch of OASPA on SPARC Open Access
Day, October 14, 2008. We hope to have the web site in operation and
begin the process of accepting applications for membership at that
point. We are tentatively planning of organizing a membership meeting
next spring where a permanent board of directors can be elected and a
set of bylaws formally adopted by the membership. The draft bylaws are
currently being revised but should be available with the launch of the
organization. Voting memberships will be open to organizations that
publish open access journals including professional publishers,
individual or groups of scholar/researchers who publish OA journals
without full-time professionals, academic/research libraries, university
presses and other organizations that publish OA journals. Membership
will be contingent on adhering to a code of conduct that we intend to
ensure a high level of integrity in the operation of OA journals
published by the member organizations. Voting membership and
representation on the board of directors will also be available to
organizations such as SPARC that are not publishers but provide key
support and services to open access publishing. I also want to thank the
group of colleagues who have worked on developing the plan for OASPA:
Lars Björnshauge (SPARC Europe)
Matthew Cockerill (BMC)
Gunther Eysenback (Journal of Medical Internet Research)
Ahmed Hindawi (Hindawi)
Kevin Haggerty (Canadian Journal of Sociology)
Mark Patterson (PLOS)
Paul Peters (Hindawi)
Martin Rasmussen (Copernicus)
Bas Savenije (SPARC Europe) I particularly like to thank Caroline Sutton
from Co-Action Publishing who worked closely with me to keep the process
moving and David Prosser of SPARC Europe who not only provided valuable
input in the discussion but through SPARC Europe has provided support
that is making it possible to launch OASPA. David Solomon (Medical
Education Online)

--
De åsikter som framförs här är mina personliga
och inte ett uttryck för Göteborgs universitets-

Opinions expressed here are my own and not
that of Göteborgs universitetsbibliotek

Jan Szczepanski
Förste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek