Subject: Det slarvas med ISBN på biblioteken
From: Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:26:03 +0200

Detta kan vara av intresse för bl.a bibliotek som konsekvent slarvar
med ISBN och ISSN när man ägnar sig åt digitalisering. Dessutom ska
alla format ha eget ISBN eller ISSN.

According to ISBN official standards, each format of an e-book should be
given its own ISBN.
This means if a book is sold in mobi-pocket and Adobe formats each would
be given a separate
 (unique) number by the publisher even if the content is exactly the
same. During the revision
process for the current standard, this point received intense discussion
mostly focused on the
burden that applying what could amount to several hundred ISBNs to a
single work would have
 on publishers' processes. We resolved this issue for the standard with
judicious use of words
 such as 'shall' and 'should' but the issue was raised again recently
when the ISBN board
 released a 'policy statement' reaffirming the need for separate ISBN's
on each format of an ebook.

Läs mer:

http://personanondata.blogspot.com/2008/06/isbns-on-all-formats.html

Jan

--
De åsikter som framförs här är mina personliga
och inte ett uttryck för Göteborgs universitets-

Opinions expressed here are my own and not
that of Göteborgs universitetsbibliotek

Jan Szczepanski
Förste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek