Subject: Vilket ord ska man använda?
From: Ola Pilerot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:12:34 +0100

Hej!

Kanske är det fler än jag som stundom känner att det engelska ordet
'Information literacy' på något sätt bättre beskriver det vi vill säga
när vi använder den svenska motsvarigheten, 'Informationskompetens'.

Mot bakgrund av den här tanken roade det mig att i ett inlägg på den
amerikanska sändlistan 'BI-L: Bibliographic Instruction Listserv' se
nedanstående inlägg, där den amerikanske skribenten uppenbarligen
funderar i liknande tankegångar, fast tvärtom.

"We're having some good discussions with our campus General Education
folks about integrating our program more completely into their
offerings.  I'm trying to sell the idea of "Information Literacy Across
the Curriculum" but they don't like the term "information literacy."

Hmmmmm.

Does anyone have a suggestion for something else?  They mentioned
"skills," but I don't like that because it sounds too close to "computer
skills." They like "fluency," but I'm not enamoured of "information
fluency."  The jury is still out on "comptency" in something or other.

Both G.E. and I want to include all flavors of information in our
definition:  learning to work with, analyze, manage, etc. not just
words,
in all their formats (books, scholarly articles, newspapers, etc.) but
also images (especially television and film, but also artistic
expression), sounds, multimedia (especially Web sites with
words/images/motion/sound) and anything else I can't think of this early
on a snowy morning.

If we can't find a decent alternative, Plan B would be to persuade them
that "Information Literacy" has become (or is at least becoming) a
standard and we should embrace it rather than fight it.  So if your
institution has a formal program by this name, please let me know.

I've done a little looking about and so far haven't found any other
phrase that excites me (although I kinda like the Swedish word
"informationskompetens").

Thanks.  I'll summarize your suggestions in another post to BI-L next
week.

-- Martin

Martin Raish
Brigham Young University"