Subject: Evidence-Based Librarianship
From: Eva Alopaeus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:17:27 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

The Research Section of the Medical Library Association, in cooperation
with an international group of colleagues, needs your help in making
Evidence-Based Librarianship (EBL) a reality.

Specifically, we are attempting to identify the most relevant and
answerable research questions facing the practice of librarianship at the
beginning of 2001.

This is YOUR opportunity to offer input om what are the most pressing
questions with which you are grappling in your work domain. You need not
restrict your questions to your specific work function (collection
development, public services, technical services, systems, administration
etc) or type or size of library.

Please email your question(s) to me so I might compile them for the Committee.

EXAMPLES:

Do library resources courses improve the information-seeking skills of
students?

How does one evaulate the comparative advantages and disadvantages of
electronic versus print journals?

Do the benefits of a value-added resource as the OVID  databases outweigh
the costs when compared to PubMed?

How can we measure the effectiveness of reference services provided via email?

These are but a few of the many possible questions. If you develop a
question that we eventually publish (after some refinement) we will credit
that question to your name.

BACKGROUND: for more information regarding EBL you might want to read:
Eldredge JD. Evidence-Based Librarianship: an overview. Bulletin of the
Medical Library Association 2000 88(4):289-302

THANK YOU.

Jon Eldredge/Eva Alopaeus

Evidence-Based Librarianship Implementation Committee, MLA Research Section

Eva Alopaeus, Chief Librarian
Kliniska centralbiblioteket
Sahlgrenska universitetssjukhuset
413 45 Göteborg, Sweden