Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: Healing in Tonga
From: Michael Poltorak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:13:43 +0000

Hi all,

I am just about to go to Tonga for 22 months  to do  a medical
anthropological ethnography of healing for 'avanga conditions. I'm hoping
to focus in particular on treatment for lolo mai as a way of examining the
interactions between the  macroprocesses of modernisation and the
microprocesses of illness experience. My approach will be
'phenomenologically' oriented.  My intended fieldwork area is Vava'u. I
would welcome any suggestions as to where I might best have access to
faito'o'avanga. Has anybody carried out (or currently carrying out) any
economic/geographical studies into the local effects of migration and the
remittance economy? Is there anybody out there doing fieldwork in Tonga at
the moment or has recently completed research on a similar line?

 Michael Poltorak  MA(Cantab.) MSc

 PhD Medical Anthropology
 Department of Anthropology
 University College London