Subject: Web Substitution of Reference Works
From: Gerry McKiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 May 1997 08:34:32 CDT

           Web Substitution for Reference Works

  For a future study, I am greatly interested in learning about
libraries that have consciously or unconsciously [:->])
decided to substitute Web access to appropriate Reference works in
place of the purchase of a print equivalent or analog, or alternative
electronic product (e.g., CD-ROM, diskette, etc.). I am _not_
interested in efforts that offer Web access as an _additional_
copy for works that are also made available in print or other
electronic formats locally.

  I am particularly interested in those libraries that have formally
incorporated such access within their homepage(s) and which have
also cataloged such remotely accessible resources within their
OPACs.

  As always, information about any and all efforts will be much
appreciated.

  Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)