Help for GEOGRAPH Archives

GEOGRAPH Archives

Subject: Re: Size of America
From: David Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:10:14 GMT

> I was wondering if anybody could tell me how many times America was
> bigger than the UK.

If you mean the USA main land mass,ie the 50 states and the D. of C, it has
a total area of about 3,618,770 square miles.

However, if you mean all of the USA including the outlying territiries
you'd have to add Guam, American Samoa, Palau, Wake, Wilkes, Peale,
the Virgin Islands ( not to be confused with the British Virgin
Islands ) Puerto Rico and a few places I dare say I've forgotten
about.

By contrast, the UK has an area of about 94,249 square miles. That's
slightly smaller than the state of Oregon.

So, the simple answer is that the USA is roughly 38 times larger than the
UK. It has to be that big to hold all the junk food.

Remember that these figures are 2D values, they don't take into account
the increase in surface area due to slopes such as hills, valleys etc.
A line at 45 degrees to the horizontal is 1.414 times longer than a
horizontal line covering the same map distance, so this could have a
considerable influence on the final figures for total land mass.

Additionally, the coastline is simplified on the assumption that
headlands and bays cancel eachother out.

Hope this helps,

David Robinson BA PGCE FRGS FRMetS

(Teacher of Geography and IT)