Help for GEOGRAPH Archives

GEOGRAPH Archives

Subject: Re: Ancient Babylon
From: Henrik Bddrnhielm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Jan 1997 19:57:24 +0100

Joseph Teichman wrote:

> Does anyone know the long. and lat.of Sura and Pumpeditha and adjacent
> cities in ancient Babylon? can anyone recommend any books on this subject?

I checked the 'Tuebinger Atlas' and can give you the positions: Sura
38.46 E, 35.41 N (degrees-minutes), Pumpeditha 43.44 E, 33.24 N. They
seem to have been involved in Septimius Severus' Parthian war in
197-198, so probably you will find them in the sources, Dio Cassius,
Historia Augusta. Or try the Cambridge Ancient History.
Greetings
Goran Baarnhielm
--
Internet : [log in to unmask]