Help for GEOGRAPH Archives

GEOGRAPH Archives

Subject: Re: Ancient Babylon
From: Henrik Bddrnhielm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Jan 1997 00:28:06 +0100

Joseph Teichman wrote:

> Does anyone know the long. and lat.of Sura and Pumpeditha and adjacent
> cities in ancient Babylon? can anyone recommend any books on this subject?

Sura is on the northern Euphrates close to Raqqa, lat 36 N, long 39 E.
It can be found n a good historical map of the late Roman and Sassanian
times. Pumpeditha is unknown to me, but try the "Tuebinger Atlas des
Vorderen Orients" which is very detailed, or some historical atlas on
the web, for example http://maps.linex.com/map.html.
Goran Baarnhielm
--
Internet : [log in to unmask]