Help for GEOGRAPH Archives

GEOGRAPH Archives

Subject: Re: DYNAMIC WORLD AND REGIONAL POLITICAL ATLAS
From: "N.P.A.S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Jan 1997 17:28:40 +0000

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I WOULD LIKE RESPONSES FROM INTERESTED PERSONS .
> MY PROJECT IS TO MAKE AN ANIMATED SIMULATION OF
> THE WORLDS NATIONAL BOUNDRIES BY MAKING A "KEY FRAME" OF POLITICAL
> BOUNDRIES FOR EACH YEAR OVER THE PAST 300 YEARS{FOR STARTERS} .
> I HAVE MADE AN ANIMATION OF THE GREAT LAKES GLACIERS AS THEY RECEDED
> AND READVANCED OVER 18,000 YEARS AND EVEN THOUGH IT IS HIGHLY STYLIZED
>
> THE VISUAL EFFECT IS WORTH A HUNDRED MAPS AND BOOKS. AN ACCEPTED
> WORLD MAP WOULD BE NEEDED AS A BASE THEN DECADES WOULD BE ASSIGNED.
> EACH PATICIPANT WOULD MAKE KEY FRAMES IN AN AGREED WAY SO THAT THE
> ANIMATION PLAYS SMOOTHLY.
> MORE DETAILS AS INTEREST DEVELOPES, UNLESS OF COURSE THIS HAS ALREADY
> BEEN DONE(SOME PEOPLE HAVE THE AUDACITY TO PRECONCEIVE MY BEST IDEAS)
> IN WHICH CASE SOMEONE LET ME KNOW PLEASE

300 years of national political boundaries for the entire world? That's
ambitious! Certainly it is technically feasible. It would require a major
look-up matrix. Each boundary in the matrix would have to be there and a
present/absent variable for every year or occurrence mapped. Also I wonder
about the data. Getting the data and making it comparable (to the same
scale and the same time) could be difficult and time-consuming.
This sounds a bit like some work Andy Cliff did on medical area boundaries
over a long period.
It also sounds a bit like my own project to produce an animated sequence
showing the spread of a particular disease outbreak.
I'd be interested in hearing more about the project.
What kind of academic/financial backing is there to this - your email
shows no affiliation or even identification of yourself.

----
au revoir

niall johnson
Email: [log in to unmask]
Department of Geography ^^ University of Cambridge ^^ England ^^ CB2 3EN