Subject: Re: Googles nya Alphabet
From: Mikael Book <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Feb 2016 12:42:38 +0100

Men varför heter Googles nya ägarbolag Alphabet? I artikeln "Why Google is
restructuring, why the name Alphabet and how it affects you" förklarar
Guardian-skribenten Alex Hern saken på följande sätt:

"A mixture of terrible jokes, grand ambition, and carefully studied
banality. The pun comes from the fact that "alpha" is a financial term
meaning return on investment above the benchmark, making Alphabet a good
Alpha-bet; the ambition comes from the fact that the Alphabet is one of
humanity's most important inventions, as well as the implicit claim (in the
company's abc.xyz url) that it encompasses everything from A to Z; and the
banality comes from the fact that Alphabet is perhaps the most generic name
imaginable, perfectly standing for anything and nothing at the same time.

And for those who think that Alphabet sounds like the sinister villain of a
James Bond film, we've got some bad news: "don't be evil" is only Google's
motto. Alphabet has no tagline."

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/11/google-alphabet-why-change-restructuring-what-it-means