Help for ETNOLIST Archives

ETNOLIST Archives

Subject: Panel: Mobility of Expertise Knowledge: Transfers, transgressions, and transitions
From: Helena Pettersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:01:55 +0100

Panel: Mobility of Expertise Knowledge: Transfers, transgressions, and transitions

In a globalized world, mobility of expertise knowledge is acknowledged as a critical core processes in contemporary culture and society. Current academic debates analyze transfers, transgressions and transitions of knowledge as a multidimensional phenomenon.  Welfare development, growth, and innovation are defined as areas, dependent on knowledge mobility. Therefore, we need to understand how knowledge moves between humans, within institutions and nation states.

This session will problematize the assumption that knowledge is unbound and easily transfer-able. Our aim is to emphasize how knowledge undergoes transitions, depending on cultural and social context. It is per se a process with dynamics, power relations and ambiguities. Our point of departure is a critical perspective on the understanding of knowledge as culturally and socially indistinctive. Such a perspective includes values, practices and materialism on one hand, and individual, groups and organizations on the other.

Our session will highlight contemporary complexities and dimensions of understanding cul-tural variations of knowledge. If we consider knowledge as plastic and malleable, knowledge changes and adapts within national and local culture. Thus, knowledge may partake in dynam-ic processes, which challenge ideas about cultural and social boundaries.

We welcome papers focusing on the cultural and social aspects of mobility in the following themes:
-	Mobility and knowledge transfer
-	Mobility and professional cultures
-	Mobility in science, technology and medicine
-	Places/spaces of mobile knowledge

Panel discussion and paper presentation language: English

Organizers:
Helena Pettersson, Umeå University   [log in to unmask]
Katarzyna Wolanik Boström, Umeå University    [log in to unmask]
Magnus Öhlander, Södertörn University   [log in to unmask]