Help for FISH-SCI Archives

FISH-SCI Archives

Subject: Fw: Passing of Kenneth H. Mann
From: Bill Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:33:15 -0000

Passing of Kenneth MannI have just received news of the passing of Ken Mann,
who was such a well-known figure in marine ecology that I thought I should
pass on the news to the list. I include an excerpt from the notice I
received focussing on his achievments in science, but if anyone wants to see
the full obituary just write me and I will send it on.

BIO is the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where
Dalhousie University is also located. I worked at both places and Ken was
the thesis advisor for my wife.

Bill Silvert

MANN, Kenneth Henry - Ken's scientific career at both BIO and Dalhousie
University spanned well over 25 years and he continued to write and publish
until quite recently.  He was Professor and Chairman of Biology at Dalhousie
University from 1972-80 and was Director of the Marine Ecology Laboratory at
BIO from 1980-87. Over the years, he was a mentor to post-doctoral students,
many of whom remained lifelong friends to both he and Isabel.  He published
over 170 papers in scientific journals and authored or co-authored a number
of books.  Ken's significant achievements in the Aquatic Sciences and his
role as a model for students were recognized in 1994 with a Lifetime
Achievement Award by the American Society of Limnology and Oceanography.  In
2003, he was presented with the Gulf of Maine Visionary Award by the Council
on the Marine Environment for his commitment and leadership as an
internationally recognized Marine Ecologist.  He was awarded, in 2008, an
Honorary Degree by Cape Breton University.

                   The FISH-SCI List Archive