Google-Oxford en del av kunskapens republik

Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>

BIBLIST - Topics in Nordic research library user services <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:20:11 +0100

text/plain

2004 inledde Google ett samarbete med Oxford University Library om att
digitalisera huvudsakligten bibliotekets
1800-tals samling. Bodleian har i århundranden varit ett av Europas
främsta bibliotek och fortsätter att vara
ledande än idag Projektet är nu avslutat och hundratusentals böcker har
nu gjorts tillgängliga för alla. Helt i
Sir Thomas Bodleys vision om ett bibliotek som tjänar en
världsomfattande ”kunskapens republik”

Om Bodleian i Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodleian_Library

Issac Newton 1729
http://books.google.com/books?id=Tm0FAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PPP6,M1

Emma 1816
http://books.google.com/books?id=YbINAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0

Cassell's illustrated history of England
http://books.google.com/books?id=Ty8OAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&dq=editions:OCLC35265108&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0

Många bibliotek i Europea ingår i Googles digitaliseringsprojekt. En
vit, underutvecklad, fläck på kartan är Norden.

Andra bibliotek som samarbetar kring Google Book Search
http://www.google.com/googlebooks/partners.html

Läs mer
http://www.ouls.ox.ac.uk/news/2009_mar_26

Jan

In 2004, Google began a partnership with Oxford University Library to
scan mostly 19th century public domain books from its Bodleian library.
Five years on, we're delighted to announce the end of this phase of our
scanning with Oxford, our first European partner. Together, we have
digitized and made available on Google Book Search many hundreds of
thousands of public domain books from the Bodleian and other Oxford
libraries, representing the bulk of their available public domain content.

 From English to German, to Spanish and French, most of the digitized
works date from the 19th century and range from classic literature to
more scientific volumes in fields including Geography, Philosophy or
Anthropology. Among some of the works now available through Book Search,
you can find the first English translation of Newton's Mathematical
principles of natural philosophy
<http://books.google.com/books?id=Tm0FAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PPP6,M1>
from 1729, the first edition of Jane Austen's Emma
<http://books.google.com/books?id=YbINAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0>,
and John Cassell's Illustrated History of England
<http://books.google.com/books?id=Ty8OAAAAQAAJ&printsec=titlepage&dq=editions:OCLC35265108&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0>.
As with all public domain titles on Google Book Search, you can search
and read the full text of these works, as well as download and print a
pdf if you wish to .

So, does this mean we are done?

Far from it! With most of Oxford's 19th century public domain works now
digitized and available to users online, we look forward to continuing
our partnership with Oxford to digitize more content as it becomes
available and work together to bring more books to more people in more
languages around the world.

"Library users have always loved browsing books for the serendipitous
discoveries they provide. Digital books offer a similar thrill, but on
multiple levels-- deep entry into the texts or the ability to browse the
virtual shelf of books assembled from the world's great libraries," says
Sarah E. Thomas, Bodley's Librarian and Director of Oxford University
Library Services.

For more information on Book Search, visit books.google.com
<http://books.google.com/>.

--
De åsikter som framförs här är mina personliga
och inte ett uttryck för Göteborgs universitets-

Opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of the Gothenburg University Library

Jan Szczepanski
Förste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek
Box 222