Library of Congress 2.0

Jan Szczepanski <[log in to unmask]>

BIBLIST - Topics in Nordic research library user services <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Mar 2009 15:16:50 +0200

text/plain

Klippt ur PersonaNonData. Ett utmärkt exempel på vikten av att inte bara
bevara
för kommande generationer utan även förmedla till dagens.

Jan

Library of Congress goes Social Networking
<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/Personanondata/%7E3/8yc1ZjtCw0M/library-of-congress-goes-social.html>

 From an Library of Congress press release:
<http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2009/09-055.html>

    The Library of Congress will begin sharing content from its vast
    video and audio collections on the YouTube and Apple iTunes web
    services as part of a continuing initiative to make its incomparable
    treasures more widely accessible to a broad audience. The new
    Library of Congress channels on each of the popular services will
    launch within the next few weeks.

    New channels on the video and podcasting services will be devoted to
    Library content, including 100-year-old films from the Thomas Edison
    studio, book talks with contemporary authors, early industrial films
    from Westinghouse factories, first-person audio accounts of life in
    slavery, and inside looks into the Library's fascinating holdings,
    including the rough draft of the Declaration of Independence and the
    contents of Lincoln's pockets on the night of his assassination.

    "The Library of Congress launched the first U.S. agency-wide blog
    two years ago and continued its pioneering social-media role with
    initiatives such as the immensely successful Flickr pilot project,"
    said Librarian of Congress James H. Billington. "We have long seen
    the value of such interaction with the public to help achieve our
    missions, and these agreements remove many of the impediments to
    making our unparalleled content more useful to many more people."

    The General Services Administration today also announced agreements
    with Flickr, YouTube, Vimeo and blip.tv that will allow other
    federal agencies to participate in new media while meeting legal
    requirements and the unique needs of government. GSA plans to
    negotiate agreements with other providers, and the Library will
    explore these new media services when they are appropriate to its
    mission and as resources permit.

--
De åsikter som framförs här är mina personliga
och inte ett uttryck för Göteborgs universitets-

Opinions expressed here are my own and not
those of the Gothenburg University Library

Jan Szczepanski
Förste bibliotekarie
Goteborgs universitetsbibliotek
Box 222