Subject: Re: Dewey, det vete katten?
From: Anders Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:42:50 +0100

Jeg har ikke lest alt i denne tråden, og jeg har et forhold til
SAB-systemet som jeg har til kinesisk språk. Men jeg kom over dette i
dag, da jeg så etter noe helt annet, og skanneren står jo der... Det
er fra den (viktige!) boka Librarianship and Human Rights av Toni
Samek (ISBN 1-84334-146-8), side 31:

"The ICIE website cautions: 'Classification systems, thesauri, search
engines and the like are not neutral. This non-neutrality exists not
only in their inherent bias but in the fact that specific unethical
prejudices are not recognized, or acknowledged'. Feminist library
scholar Hope Olson, author of the book The Power to Name: Locating the
Limits of Subject Representation in Libraries, concurs. She observes:

... bias in subject access, whether subject headings, thesauri, or
classification, is not just about the concepts that are represented or
the terms used for them or even how things are grouped. It is even
more culturally specific than that. The very structure of our systems
is based on western logic ingrained in our culture since at least
Aristotle. So when we export our systems (even with the best
intentions) we are imposing our cultural model. It fits some cultures,
but the primacy of hierarchy in our structures is a mismatch for other
cultures. This frequently is the case with indigenous cultures among
others. [Furthermore,] the current dominance of a single model for
library cataloguing is a misunderstanding of the idea of
standardization. When the idea of standardization is linked to the
idea of sharing we end up with a homogenized product. With cataloging,
this product ends up being based in western culture, distributed
through the efficiency of American corporate culture (e.g. OCLC
[Online Computer Library Center]).

--
Hilsen
Anders Ericson