Subject: 8th IFLA INTERLENDING AND DOCUMENT SUPPLY INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
From: Poul Erlandsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:00:40 +0100

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Another version
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:38:26 +1100
From: Tom Ruthven <[log in to unmask]>

"Breaking barriers: reaching users in a digital world" has been chosen
as
the theme of the 8th IFLA Interlending and Document Supply International
Conference announced Dr Toby Burrows, Chair of the Program Committee.
"In
one simple statement we wanted to encompass new ways to deliver services
users as well as ways to make our operations more efficient", he said.

The conference will be held at the National Library of Australia,
Canberra,
Australia, 28 - 31 October 2003.

"This conference brings people together from around the world to
contribute
their thoughts and ideas on issues that face all of us", Dr Burrows
said.
"I know there is a keen interest in coming to Australia for this
conference
and we plan to have an exciting program to nourish people's minds.  We
are
most interested in the impact of technology and the digital world,
whether
that is about equity of access, new services, the conundrum of buying or
borrowing, and how to get appropriate skills and knowledge.

"I look forward to seeing you all in just under one year's time in
Australia
to contribute and share innovative ways of viewing the world, practical
advice, the results of research, and lessons learned," he said.

CALL FOR PAPERS: DEADLINE 21 FEBRUARY 2003

Authors need to get thinking now if they are to meet the 21 February
2003
deadline to submit a proposal for a paper at the 8th IFLA Interlending
and
Document Supply Conference. The Program Committee is seeking papers
which
canvas innovative ideas, report on the results of research, include
practical advice or provide details of case studies.

The Program Committee is most interested in the following topics:

. Equity of access
. Empowering the user
. International sharing
. Automating services: lessons learned
. Legal implications of sharing resources: copyright and licencing
. When to borrow, when to buy
. Effects of changes in publishing on sharing resources
. Consortia: new collaborative access mechanisms
. Education for practitioners
. Best practice processes

Generally presentations will last for 20 minutes with 10 minutes for
questions.

Information on how to submit a proposal is on the conference web site at
http://www.nla.gov.au/ilds/papers.htm

or contact

    8th IFLA Interlending and Document Supply International Conference
Secretariat
    C/- Document Supply Service
    National Library of Australia
    CANBERRA    ACT    2600
    AUSTRALIA

    Email: [log in to unmask]

CONFERENCE WEB SITE

In conjunction with the announcement of the theme and the call for
papers,
the Organising Committee is pleased to launch the conference web site.
Anyone interested in interlending and document supply should bookmark
this
site now and visit it regularly in the lead up.  It contains information
about the conference and information about the venue, Canberra - the
host
city, and Australia.

                 http://www.nla.gov.au/ilds

EMAIL ANNOUNCEMENTS DELIVERED TO YOU

Finally, to keep you informed about the conference, the Organising
Committee
has set up an email list where all announcements will be posted.  See
the
link to the email list on the conference web page for instructions on
how to
subscribe. Announcements will be posted to other discussion lists and
appear
in library-related journals.

------
The 8th IFLA Interlending and Document Supply International Conference
is
being organised by  Australia's National Resource Sharing Working Group
in
conjunction with the International Federation of Library Associations
and
Institutions, the National Library of Australia and the Australian
Library
and Information Association.

Contact for this press release:
Tom Ruthven, Convenor