Dark Archiving

Lars Aronsson <[log in to unmask]>

BIBLIST - Topics in Nordic research library user services <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:10:55 +0100

TEXT/PLAIN

Brewster Kahle, skaparen av Internet Archive (www.archive.org) som
arkiverar alla webbsidor i hela världen och gör dem tillgängliga via
sin "Wayback Machine", intervjuas i New Scientist. I intervjun, på
http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opinterview.jsp?id=ns23701 ,
säger han bland annat:

New Scientist: How can you be sure that you're not missing something
  important?

Brewster Kahle: I guarantee that in the future researchers will curse
  us for having missed something absolutely critical. But only people
  using the archive can tell us about mistakes in what we collect.
  There is a cheaper alternative concept, called "dark archiving",
  which means that we should just archive things and not give people
  access to them. But preservation without access is dangerous ?
  there's no way of reviewing what's in there.

  [...] Say the British Library collects the UK's Web pages, do they
  just make them available inside their library? Right now, people
  look for stuff on the Web, and if it's not on the Web, it doesn't
  exist for them.

I samma intervju uttalar han sig också om finansieringen av bibliotek,
om förlagens roll, om akademisk publicering och mycket annat.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([log in to unmask])
  Aronsson Datateknik